125 years of New York tradition and still going strong. Your love of the city will take hold with every single bite.
Bloch & Guggenheimer and the B&G brand were founded in 1889 by the Bloch and Guggenheimer families—immigrants who came to America seeking a better life.
When the Bloch and Guggenheimer families began selling pickles in Manhattan, the tenement-packed city streets were crowded—and hungry! There were a lot of people to feed but few places to grow the food they needed to survive.
Bloch & Guggenheimer filled that need by selling products made from the fresh vegetables and other natural ingredients that came from the rural areas surrounding the big city. B&G continued to grow over the years because the Bloch and Guggenheimer families steadfastly placed the quality of their products above all else.
B&G also grew by building a large retail and food service business, and by expanding its share of the nation’s largest pickle, pepper, olive and relish market. This market leadership continues today. B&G remains a leading brand of pickles and peppers in the New York megalopolis.
With B&G’s success, the company literally wore out its New York factory, and B&G moved its pickle and pepper manufacturing to a modern 200,000 sq. ft. plant in Hurlock, Maryland, in 1988, which is in a major cucumber and pepper growing region. The B&G brand formed the nucleus of B&G Foods when it was founded in 1996.
Our familiar jars of pickles, peppers and relishes and cans of olives, sauerkraut and other condiments have been a staple of grocery stores in the tri-state area for generations. The tradition of high quality standards, good manufacturing practices and efficient stock rotation established by Bloch & Guggenheimer more than 125 years ago are still our most important ingredients today.